Back pain is one of the leading causes of disability. The pain can vary depending on the back condition or injury’s severity. Thankfully, you can take specific measures to prevent or alleviate back pain, whether at home or during physical therapy in Farmingdale, NY. At Farmingdale Physical Therapy East, our staff can work with you to reduce pain levels and prevent further back injury. Continue reading to learn if your back pain is serious.
Causes of Back Pain
Back pain can develop without an official cause diagnosis. However, some common conditions that are linked to back pain and can be addressed during physical therapy in Farmingdale, NY include:
- Muscle or ligament strain.
- Bulging or ruptured discs.
Is My Back Pain Serious?
The pain one can experience in the back can range from a muscle ache to a stabbing sensation. The pain can also worsen with movements like walking, twisting, or lifting. Home treatment, such as resting, icing, and over-the-counter pain relievers, can help back pain resolve within a few weeks. However, your condition may be considered more serious, and need physical therapy in Farmingdale, NY, if your back pain:
- Persists past a few weeks.
- Doesn’t improve with rest.
- Spreads down one or both legs.
- Causes weakness or numbness in the legs.
- Is accompanied by unexplained weight loss.
Prevention of Back Pain
To avoid back pain, you may want to improve your physical condition and practice proper body mechanics. It can be helpful to properly stand, sit, and lift to avoid strain on your back. Some other specific prevention tips include:
- Exercising regularly to increase endurance and allow your muscles to function better.
- Building muscle strength in your core to hold yourself up properly.
- Maintaining a healthy weight to put less strain on your back muscles.
- Quitting smoking because it can lead to osteoporosis.
If prevention fails and back pain is persistent after home treatment, physical therapy in Farmingdale, NY could be your next step. Our Farmingdale Physical Therapy East team will teach you exercises and techniques to bring relief to your serious pain. Call our staff today if you seek treatment for back pain!