Summer weather means more time spent outside enjoying the sunshine. Getting out to exercise or play sports can be enjoyable, but potential injuries may be at an all-time high. At Farmingdale Physical Therapy East, we provide skilled hands-on care to patients to prevent sports injuries and treat them should they occur with the use of our physical therapy near Bethpage. Continue reading below to learn more tips about preventing sports injuries this summer.
As the name suggests, sports injuries occur while participating in a sport. Athletes of all ages can be at risk for these injuries. There is also an increased risk of sports injuries if you have not been regularly active, play a contact sport, or don’t warm up properly before exercise. There are various possible sports injuries, each one producing different complications and symptoms. The most common sports-related ailments we tend to treat with physical therapy near Bethpage may include:
- Strains and Sprains.
- Achilles Tendon Rupture.
- Rotator Cuff Injuries.
- Knee Injuries.
- Swollen Muscles.
If you get injured while playing your sport, it’s essential to seek treatment immediately in order to potentially avoid long-term complications.
Preventing Sports Injuries
An injury can keep you sidelined during the summer, so it’s crucial to make an effort to prevent injuries from occurring. One of the best ways you can avoid a sports injury is to stretch and warm up properly before your activity. Warm muscles are more flexible than cold muscles and can absorb quick movements. Here are some other steps you can take to help avoid sports injuries:
- Use the proper equipment for your sport.
- Use proper form and technique during your sport.
- Don’t fight through your pain and overdo your activity. Give your body time to recover.
- Cool down after your activity.
- If you’re recovering from an injury, resume your activity slowly to ease back into your sport of choice.
- Attend physical therapy near Bethpage to develop a well-rounded exercise plan that includes flexibility, strength training, and cardiovascular exercises.
- Stay hydrated to avoid heatstroke, dehydration, and heat exhaustion.
Contact Farmingdale Physical Therapy Near Bethpage
Taking these steps to prevent sports injuries can help you stay out on the field all summer long. At Farmingdale Physical Therapy East, we provide physical therapy near Bethpage to patients to help them achieve peak performance and recover from any sports injuries that may occur. To learn more about preventing sports injuries, or to schedule an appointment, contact our office today!